I will never, ever forget what it was like waiting on those verdicts.  Each defendant had his own jury, so we waited on 24 people to decide the fate of the defendants. And waited, and waited.

One jury would take eight days, the other nine. Intellectually, I knew that we had done everything that we could possibly do. Even so, I couldn't help second-guessing every decision: What if I had made this argument, or that one?

I sleepwalked through those days, trying to ignore the world and minutia around me, and praying to God every waking moment.

In the end, Budzyn and Nevers were both convicted of murder, and Detroit did not burn. 

I distinctly remember bolting up the stairs of the courthouse followed by the press when I was contacted about the verdict from the first jury; the second jury announced that they had a verdict the next day. I knew that justice had prevailed before the verdicts were even read. I just knew. Both defendants were held accountable for their actions.

 I was just as confident that there would be a verdict of guilty in the Chauvin case. As a result of videotaped footage of the crime, police and civilian and expert witnesses presented to the jury, justice prevailed, as it did in the Malice Green case.

The verdict in the Derrick Chauvin case is a victory for police accountability. I would urge the public to believe in our system of justice.  I would also urge the public to remain peaceful in respect for the memory of George Floyd. " [Source]

Kym Worthy toots her own horn a little, and that's fine. But what she didn't say in the article (although there is a mention of it with the captioned that comes with the article), was that the convictions of these two police officers was later overturned on appeal, and they were retried separately and found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

I am thinking the same thing here. It's deja vu alright, but not for the reasons that Ms. Worthy thinks. 

Photo: Richard Lee/Detroit Free Press