Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Some Of Their Best Friends Are Tar Babies


I have always had a very simple philosophy about racist. Don't bull s##t me, let me know where you stand. I might not like you, but I will respect you a whole lot more. It's why I have no problem with the trailer park trash that posts on this site from time to time, and if someone wants to post racist views in the fields, they are free to go at it. Why? Because I believe in knowing who and where those who despise me because of my race are, and what they are up to. Heck, some people have described me as being a racist, but I believe that in the true definition of the word, I am not. Because while I might love my race more than any other, I don't necessarily think that one is automatically superior just because he or she happens to be black.

Which leads me to the reason for this post: Republicans can we talk? It seems lately you have had a race problem. It started with Bill Bennett, and his quote about aborting black babies. "If that was your sole purpose (referring to ending crime) you could abort every black baby in this country"Then, amazingly, it was the "tar baby" revival among republican pols. It started with White house press secretary Tony Snowjob, who said: "I don't want to hug the 'tar baby' of trying to comment on this program" when answering a question at a white house press conference. Now Mr. Snow and his right wing apologist, still, to this day, don't think he said anything wrong or insensitive. And Mr. Snow tried to explain his racially insensitive remark by saying: "I'll probably take that (tar baby) out of my tool chest of rhetorical devices, rather than having to explain a hundred and fifty years of American Culture". Sorry Mr. Snowjob, your American culture aint my American culture. And it certainly isn't Toni Morisson's American culture. Not when she says: "Tar Baby is also a name like nigger, that white people call black children. No Tony, I am going with the other Toni on this one.

Soon after came another republican tar baby snafu. (Just what in heavens name are these guys smoking ?) And delivering the lines this time, was the Governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney. Now of all people, you would think Mr. Romney would know better. Because he strikes me as one of those white people that even if he were a racist would know how to cover it up. But what does he do? He goes to a picnic in Ames, Iowa, and while eating chicken and watermelons-just kidding, I really don't know what he was eating- with a few of his closest friends, makes another stupid tar baby remark: "...just get as far away from that 'tar baby' as I possible can". He was of course referring to the "big dig" fiasco in Boston. Now I don't know if the good Governor is a racist or not, but he is a Mormon, and isn't that the church that banned blacks from holding office a few years ago? Mmmmm. But hey, churches like people can change I guess.

Which leads me to the granddaddy of republican racist or idiots- take your pick of whichever category you think he falls in. His name is George Allen, and he is a Senator from the great state of Virginia, with possible presidential aspirations. It seems Mr. Allen, while chilling with a few of his closest friends in a little town known as Breaks, Virginia, - Which by the way happens to be near the Kentucky border (Hey, when in Rome) -made what many consider a racist remark to a campaign worker of his opponents, by referring to the gentleman as a "Macaca". "Macaca or whatever his name is...welcome to America and the real world of Virginia" Now keep in mind, that the gentleman in question, S.R. Sidarth, was born and raised in Virginia, and Mr. Allen, was born in,...gasp, California! But Mr. Allen is white, and Mr. Sidarth is Indian, so it was easy to pick on the Macaca boy given the circumstances and surroundings. Do you think Mr. Allen would have made that comment in Washington D.C., or in Northern Virginia? Of course not. Now if you think Michael Jackson can moon walk, you didn't see the back pedeling the Allen campaign was doing after this one. "In no way was it meant to demean him, I'm sorry if he was offended" that was Allen's statement when he realized that the sh#@ was hitting the fan. Then his campaign went into full spin mode, but soon lied and said that Macaca was a name they often gave to this particular young man, only to have Allen say later that he just made the name up. Talk about "dumb and dumber". (See what happens when you try to be less than honest ?) But let's just say for argument sake, that Allen made up the term Macaca to describe his Indian friend, and assume that he did not know that a Macaca was an Asian monkey, and a term often used as a derogatory slur to North African immigrants in Europe. How does Allen explain his xenophobic comment about the "real Virginia"? He can't, but I am sure that he, as well as his GOP apologist friends will have an explanation for that one too. Now if Mr. Allen could just come out and admit how he really feels about blacks, immigrants, etc. I would at least respect the man. A fter all, doesn't every one love and respect an honest politician? I bet he would get more votes close to the Kentucky border.

Since the Allen gaffe, I have heard republicans, not to be outdone on the Indian racism front. Question why there was no outrage over Joe Biden's insensitive comments about the Indians and their Donkin Donuts franchises. Well let's see now, could it be because Joe Biden was not caught writing "nigger" on the wall in school? Could it be because Joe Biden did not have a noose hanging in his law office, or a picture of confederate troops in his governor's office? Could it be because Joe Biden did not try to do away with Martin Luther King's holiday in Delaware, or kick the only black trustee off of the UVA board? Maybe that's why. You see George, like so many of his republican buddies, have a problem when it comes to race. But just like his fearless leader, frat boy, explaining away his boozing and cocaine days, George says: "I have grown since those days". Really George? Apparently you haven't grown quite enough.

Honestly, I don't know what's in the heart of all these republicans, but I am sure starting to see a pattern. They are, at the very least, insensitive, and at the very worst, racist, masquerading as decent men. Well..let me amend that. Racist masquerading as politicians pretending to be decent men. Of course, the field negro could care less if these men are racist or not. They could pray to the Imperial Grand Wizard every night as far as I am concerned, and it wouldn't bother me one bit. All I ask is that they at least let me, and every other black person know where they honestly stand on issues of race. That way we can judge them for who they really are, and not some slick talking politician who says all the right things, but who thinks his race, like his country, is superior to every one else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dream on fieldnegro. Nice thought, that idea of playing fair. You should know they will never level the playing field. They are afraid of truth and what it would set free. These folks will never let you know who they are. Only as long as they have total control. During slavery they were up front and honest, in the South, because they had complete control. In the North, they were riding the fence and cutting deals to "unify the states" under a Constitution. During Reconstruction they covered their heads with white sheets, remember. Might look bad. They are masters of disguise. They will never show you who they really are. How do you think we got so many pimps(record label companies) and hoes(rappers) in the music business. They didn't come out and say "we want you to reenforce the message of black self-hatred in all your lyrics". Remember Jimmy the Greek, sports commentator? Poor thing, made the mistake of saying out loud what the other good ole boys only say behind closed doors. The next thing you knew, no more Jimmy the Greek.

field negro said...

I hear you, but I can hope that they will come out of the closet can't I :)

Aulelia said...

the extent of these comments is absolutely blinding...how big was the media uproar when those derogatory epithets were made?

i heard this crazy rumour that the reason beijing got the 2008 olympics was because the mayor of toronto made some comment saying that if the olympics were in africa, the natives would eat everyone. needless 2 say, the IOC promptly made sure Canada was out of the running...could be true or false, either way it sure has a nasty smell.

what do black Republicans say then 2 counter these remarks? in the UK, the whole concept of multiculturalism which has been integrated into government policy has created problems for upper crust politicians who are disgusted to see asians and blacks doing well for themselves. if they start spewing racist remarks (which they do beyind closed doors) they are seen as Nazis...but in this country, i think it is more covert and undercover than it seems 2 be in the states. the race riots in Bradford and Leeds a few years ago have made it imperative that racist remarks are kept on the downlow. But I am no idealist; the racist white man rules the West whether it is the USA or the UK; it is a shame we have to be along for the ride...or do we?

Nice post !

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

08 20 06

Well, Field Negro well said. I think the position of Blacks in America is so interesting because we have a lot of power and simply need to tap into it. I totally agree with you that if someone doesn't like Blacks, I would rather hear it than not.

In San Francisco, you cannot open up your mouth without offending anyone. That means that Black folk who speak out against the comparison of the gay struggle to the struggle that we faced are summarily labelled homophobic and even racist. I love it when Black people are called racist. It is so very very NASTY.

I have gotten stabbed in the back many times by so called inclusive, diverse, gay, women's rights activists (who were White) because they politic behind your back and I think that is even more pernicious than being upfront about it, because you can never really know who your real friends are and talk about paranoia! Racism is alive and well, but the subtlety of it makes it hard to diagnose as just that. Then you see these jerks talking about macaca's and the writing is on the wall.

That is why I remain and Independent. I refuse to join a party that has those types of jerks in positions of power. The GOP needs to clean house,plain and simple. And even deeper, as Black people we need to clean our houses out.

We have one of the strongest consumer buying power blocks in the world! Instead of wasting our money on other people's crap, we need to network more. I will talk more on that in my blog. Needless to say, those jerks have pissed me off to no end!

hehehe Have a good week FN:)

Field Negro